About Caitlyn

Saturday, March 7, 2020

How to make Perfect Scones

 Hey, how's your winter going? Mine is freezing! It's  March, and it's snowing again! I wish the weather would stay the same for 2 days in a row. First it's sunny and bright, and then it's raining, and the next day we find my dad reciting corny poems such as: "Noses are red, Fingers are blue, I'm tired of winter, How about you?"  Perfect weather for scones, though. I found a really good recipe, and all of us just love it.

   INGREDIENTS:

 2 cups all-purpose flour
 1/2 cup granulated sugar
 1/2 tsp. salt
 2 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
 1 stick unsalted butter
 1/2 cup heavy cream or buttermilk
 1 large egg
 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
 1-1.5 cups add-ins such as chocolate chips, berries, etc.


 INSTRUCTIONS:

 Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Grate the frozen butter in using a box grater. Add it to the flour mixture using a pastry cutter, 2 forks, or your fingers until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs. Place in the refrigerator  as you mix the wet ingredients together. 
  Whisk 1 cup heavy cream, the egg, and the vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture, add the add-ins, then mix together till everything appears moistened.
  Pour onto counter and, with floured hands, work dough into a ball as best you can. Dough will be sticky. If it's too sticky, add a little flour. If it seems too dry, add 1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream. Press into an 8" disc, and with a sharp knife cut into 8 wedges. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange scones 2-3 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 18-26 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on top. Enjoy!

OK, so my scones didn't really look like the pictures of scones, but then again, I did make drop scones. You take 1/4 cup of dough and drop it on a baking sheet, and then bake it like you would the triangular ones. So they weren't the picture perfect pastry you think of when you hear the word 'scone'. But I put in chocolate chips, and after they were baked, I sprinkled powdered sugar on top, and they were quite delicious😋😋.  

10 comments:

  1. Hi, people call me “Uncle J”. I know how to make something called “Arepas” and something else called “Patacones”. I have no clue about what a ”Scone” is! I asked my children and they say it is an english bread and it is hard like a rock. Is that true? Or are they making fun of me?
    How about if you make some scones for me and I make sone arepas for you? I live in Texas by the way...

    Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is Uncle J again, you have no idea about who really I am. Anyway, I would love to read your blog every time you write. Do you know if I have a way to subscribe to your blog?

    Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found the way to subscribe!!! I just check the “notify” button! Now every time you write I will have an email message with a link to your blog. Yooohooo!!!

    Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, Uncle J, where did you find that "notify" button???? I've been trying to figure out how to subscribe since the beginning! By the way, Miss Caitlyn, I love your blog as usual. Your scones sound wonderful. We'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncle J. I regret to inform you that your children were telling you a big fat lie. Scones are soft and fluffy, not hard as a rock! Also, I don't think it's a bread. It's a pastry. And I have a very good idea who you are! I wish I could have some arepas right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ole an Andy, the little “notify” button disappeared. I don’t know where is it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Caitlyn! You know me from NaNoWriMo. I just found your blog. Scones are so good! My mom and sister made them one time, though it was a while ago. Can't wait to see what else you post!
    -Lilly
    https://tidbitsofahomeschoolgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Q&A Post!!

Hello! So,Ellen from  Ellen's Musings   , Caleigh from  Caleigh's Random Thoughts ,  and Lilly from  Lilly's Tidbit   are doing ...